$18.00 + shipping (view shipping rates)
Shipping/handling charges are slightly higher on PayPal orders because of the PayPal transaction fee.
Vocalist Chelsea Krombach shines on Profile, her first CD as a leader. Just 20 years old at the time of this recording, Chelsea performs a beautiful set of 11 standards from the Great American Songbook. On Profile, Chelsea is accompanied expertly by drummer Pete Siers, bassist Paul Keller and Larry Fuller (the last pianist in the trio of the greatest bass player of all time, Ray Brown). Chelsea is a rare bird with uncommon jazz sensibilities and musicianship for someone so young. These qualities allow her to interpret standards with a mature style and grace that is usually found only in veteran singers. Her voice is pure and her range is wide. She has chosen fine material and wonderful accompanists. Profile flows easily, swings gently and showcases Chelsea's many vocal charms.
1. The opener Bye Bye Blackbird swings right from the get-go with a Killer Joe groove superimposed over the melody. Chelsea stretches out on this one and demonstrates her improvising talents.
2. Falling In Love With Love is played in gentle waltz time. Chelsea takes subtle liberty with the melody, singing with great feeling. Giant Steps chords add a special harmonic twist at the end of each chorus.
3. Frank Loesser's If I Were A Bell has a cute arrangement, good solos all around and a surprise ending.
4. Stormy Weather shows off Chelsea's bluesy side.
5. Cole Porter's It's Alright With Me is an exciting, up-tempo duet between Chelsea and bassist Paul Keller.
6. Chelsea's version of Gershwin's Someone To Watch Over Me is delicate and exquisite.
7. Four chords repeated set the tone for this lovely rendition of Lerner and Lowe's On The Street Where You Live.
8. But Not For Me, another great Gershwin standard, is treated with an easy-going bossa beat. Chelsea's interpretation is tinged with melancholy. This is one the the highlights of Profile.
9. L.O.V.E. motors along with strong statements from Chelsea, pianist Larry Fuller and drummer Pete Siers. Watch out for a patented Chelsea Krombach ending.
10. Bobby Troup's Baby, Baby, All The Time is a terrific duet between Chelsea and pianist Larry Fuller. VERY SWEET!
11. On Lullabye Of Broadway, Chelsea's first chorus sets up Larry to preach about the blues. A good closer to a fine set of vocal jazz music!
Watch for another new PKO CD from Chelsea's accompanists, Fuller, Siers and Keller. This instrumental jazz trio CD is due to be released in November, 2004.